Thursday, May 29, 2014

Attempting Indian cuisine

 

  

  So, we're eating much later than I anticipated because I totally underestimated the amount of time those potatoes needed. Regardless of the time, dinner was a success!

 Unfortunately, once we tasted the red curry lentils, we realized they were much too spicy for the little chicken. I think next time I'll put in less cayenne than the recipe called for. The potatoes, however, were perfect and she really seemed to like them. I'm hoping to try her with as many different flavours as possible while she's young, that way she can enjoy a wide variety of different foods as she gets older. So far she hasn't been a very picky eater and I'm taking full advantage of that. Even going as far as letting her taste raw garlic, red onion and basil as I was making bruschetta one day. She was okay with the basil and onion (I say okay because she didn't spit them out, but I don't think she enjoyed it) but gave me a pretty dirty look while eating the garlic. 

 On a side note, I FINALLY mastered buttercream icing. Apparently the secret for me is to NOT follow a recipe and just tweak things as I go along.   Unfortunately, that now means I have enough icing for a 3 tier wedding cake.

...Anybody need some icing?


What you need:



Bombay Potatoes


  • 5-6 large potatoes peeled, cubed and washed
  • 2-3 tomatoes seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 to 2 tsp kosher salt
  • freshly cracked black pepper


 Turn your slow cooker on high and heat up the oil. Once the oil is hot add the mustard seeds and wait until you start to hear them pop. Add the onion and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. While waiting, mix together all of your spices and then add them to the slow cooker. Cook for a few minutes to allow flavours to blend and then add your potatoes, tomatoes, salt & pepper. Mix around so everything is evenly coated.

 The recipe I followed said to turn your slow cooker to low and cook for 4-6 hours. Well, I totally lost track of time yesterday and started them way too late to allow them to cook slowly - so I left it on high and crossed my fingers. If I had to guess, i'd say that everything was in the slow cooker by 4pm and on the table by 7:20. So I shaved 40 minutes off the cooking time and they were still pretty damn good.


Red Curry Lentils

    • 1 can of lentils drained and rinsed 
    • ½ large onion, diced
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 2 tablespoons red curry paste
    • ½ tablespoon garam masala
    • 1 teaspoon curry powder
    • ½ teaspoon turmeric
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
    • 1 teaspoon minced ginger
    • a few good shakes of cayenne pepper
    • 1 1/2 cups tomato puree
    • ¼ cup coconut milk or cream (I used coconut milk)

  Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onions. Cook on medium high heat until golden and fragrant. Add your spices while stirring (I made the mistake of not stirring and ended up with some burnt spices) and continue stirring for another minute or two. Add the tomato puree and- you guessed it- keep stirring. After a minute or two add in the lentils and coconut milk or cream and stir. Turn the heat down and let simmer for 20 minutes or so. Serve with your choice of side and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment